One Step Hummus
Avoid the hummus crisis by making your own with my simple, all in one, recipe. Hummus / Hummous / Houmous? No matter how you choose to spell it this easy dip recipe is great to make sandwiches for your lunchbox, or simply to serve with veggies or pitta.
- 400g can (which contains) 200g chickpeas
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (or 2 tsp lazy garlic)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2/3 tbsp reserved canning liquor
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander/sieve over a bowl to reserve the canning liquor.
- Rinse the chickpeas under running water.
- Reserve a few whole chickpeas for serving place the remainder into your food processor / mini chopper.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, and water to the food processor and blend to a creamy purée.
- Add 2/3 tablespoons of the reserved canning liquor and blend again until smooth.
- Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste.
- Turn out into a flat bowl and make smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas and a pinch more paprika and salt.
- Serve with pitta bread and / or crudites.